Friday, March 29, 2013

PACKING YOUR ADVENTURE BIKE


PACKING YOUR ADVENTURE BIKE 


How one man prepared his bike for a 15,000 mile adventure trip

World traveler Helge Pedersen shares what he loaded onto his 2012 BMW R1200GS before embarking on his adventure trip from Seattle to Tierra del Fuego.
1) The Think Tank Retrospective 30 camera shoulder bag carries all my paperwork, electronics and camera gear. Fits in the panniers perfectly.
2) Video camera and more electronics. The curse of today’s electronics is all the chargers you need for the GPS, cameras, video, cell phone and computer.
3) Even with the best GPS, I always carry paper maps. I also bring prints of people I’ve photographed on previous trips to hand out if I see them again.
4) CO2 cartridges (45g) will set the tire’s bead, while a stripped-down electric air pump bring tires up to correct pressure. Why electric? With my old hand-held pump, it took me 470 strokes to get proper pressure in my rear tire!
5) BMW crate straps to tie down the GS on ferries. And don’t leave home without a complete set of spare brake pads.
6) Better living through chemicals. My essential kit includes J-B Weld 5-minute epoxy, QuikSteel epoxy putty and silicone to waterproof a pannier that has been damaged in a crash.
7) Only bring tools you’ll need. Don’t bring tools that do not fit your bike.
8) This camera backpack, the Lowepro Vertex 300 AW, goes on the back of the bike. My computer fits in the top lid, while DSLR camera and lenses are stored safely inside. Custom buckles secure it to bike. Has a rain cover.
9) Personal hygiene items, including medicines and sink stopper. I wash underwear, socks and T-shirt every night, hence the sink stopper. Roll wet clothes in towel before hanging for overnight drying…it works like a charm.
10) Two spare pairs of underwear and socks, plus two T-shirts, extra riding gloves and a visor.
11) I choose the smallest panniers available: Touratech Zega Pros. You’ll always fill whatever size you get, so choose the smallest available to keep weight and size down. I pack front and rear tubes on one side, and an Aerostich lightweight bike cover on the other. With cover on, the bike is essentially out of sight, so it’s a great anti-theft measure. And use it as a ground cover when you repair a puncture.
Check out the Gelande/Strasse story for a look at his world travels in photos.
Check out the video 









VIDEO